"ftp method" experiments!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 23:33:46 +0100 (CET)

Hello!

I'm looking for feedback and comments. I added some experimental code the
other day, that allows a curl user to select what method curl should use to
reach a file on a FTP(S) server.

This functionality is available in CVS code and in recent daily snapshots.

Let me explain...

The current syntax for the option is "--ftp-method [METHOD]". You can set
three different "methods" that do this:

multicwd - like today, curl will do a single CWD operation for each path part
            in the given URL. For deep hierarchies this means very many
            commands. This is how RFC1738 says it should be done.

nocwd - no CWD at all is done, curl will do SIZE, RETR, STOR etc and give
            a full path to the server.

singlecwd - make one CWD with the full target directory and then operate on
           the file "normally".

What feedback I'm interested in:

1 - Do they work at all? Do you find servers where one of these don't work?

2 - What would proper names for the option and its arguments be, if we
     consider this feature good enough to get included and documented in
     upcoming releases?

3 - Should we make curl able to "walk through" these options in case of
     (path related) failures, or should it fail and let the user redo any
     possible retries?

(This option is not documented in any man page nor --help output just yet
since I'm not sure these names will be used or if the functionality will end
up exactly like this. And for the same reasons we have no test cases for these
yet.)