Re: Info request about the zero copy interface

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:07:27 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Legolas wrote:

> I am new to this mailing list, please excuse me if I'm posting wrongly.

Since it is a libcurl issue, we do the talk better on the curl-library list.
I'm cc'ing my reply there.

> I would like to help on implementing a zero copy interface (as mentioned in
> the TODO list or in the Hiper aims) for libcurl, but I do not know how the
> code design or build is planned: is somebody (perhaps Daniel himself)
> already working on it?

Nope, I am not working on it (yet), but I've been thinking about it and been
discussing it previously over the years so I think I have a fairly good idea
of what to do.

It would basically be a way for the application to provide an area and a size
for libcurl to store downloaded data into and then libcurl calls a callback to
request further buffers.

Similiarly, for uploads, the read callback should not have to copy data to an
internal buffer of libcurl but instead offer a pointer and a length to a
buffer that libcurl can use.

I haven't yet worked out any details, but if you have any ideas or plans, feel
free to pass them on!