Re: FTP-ssl command channel clear mode

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:42:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Devraj Mukherjee wrote:

(Cc'ing my reply over to the libcurl list mostly for info since we're talking
libcurl devel further down here...)

> I am attempting to use FTP over SSL to download files. The server however
> requires the command channel to be cleared once the login process has been
> completed.

An unusual requirement I must say.

> I believe it is part of the FTP-SSL2 implementation that requires this.

Yes, I after I read your mail about this I checked up the command 'CCC' in the
Ford-Hutchinson FTP-SSL draft and it is there all right. (With additional
details found in RFC2228.)

> Curl works great but does not clear the command channel after logon.

Nope, you are the first person to request the use of this command!

> Commercial products such as WS_FTP or SmartFTP will do it, obviously the
> problem is that the products will only run on Windows operating systems.

Silly things. ;-)

> 1. Is there anyone out there who has done this and how?

Not to my knowledge! But the 'how' part would of course involve a patch that
adds a libcurl option to issue the command and then write the code that sends
the command and does the necessary socket/TLS magic etc. And then add a
command line option to set the libcurl option.

> 2. If not, then can anyone write a patch for Curl to do this? My client is
> prepared to pay for the development time and is willing to release the patch
> back into the main code base under GPL.

I'll be happy to discuss such an arrangement with you, if no one else took the
bate already. Feel free to get in touch with me off-list for details. I've
worked with many companies in the past in similar agreements.

NOTE: curl and libcurl is licensed under a MIT-like license, not GPL...