Re: How to disable name lookup for a given request?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 16:59:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, A. Zatoon wrote:

> - I read the whole manual, and I understand that the time_namelookup
> variable is the time it took until the "name resolving" was finished. Given
> and IP address, there shouldn't be any "name resolving." I have verified
> that by looking at the network traffic.

Correct, so there is no name resolving and thus the name resolve phase should
take almost no time.

> Given the above facts, then how come in my trace

> it took more than 2s to "resolve the name"?

It took that time from start to when the resolve is done. It doesn't
specificly mean that the resolving took that time.

> Does is mean that the initialization phase of the name resolution procedure
> sometimes is high (due to context switching, for example)?

I honestly can't explain why it would take 2 seconds in any condition. But
then you're using a very old curl version and I have no intentions of spending
much brains or sweat on trying to figure it out.