Re: Install Question

From: Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:24:00 -0500

The RedHat devel rpm contains headers and such that are necessary to compile
things against that package. The corresponding rpm without the devel tag
contains just the stuff necessary to run things in/with that package.

When you install curl from the original tar, you're installing both bits
simultaneously. I think RedHat splits them to reduce overhead in an end-user
system that won't have any compilation going on.

Ralph