Re: Libcurl with LDAPS

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:42:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Christopher R. Palmer wrote:

> > It only supports LDAP, afaik.

> That's correct. I looked through the code recently to see if it support
> ldaps and it did not.

Perhaps adding LDAPS support wouldn't be that hard. I really have no idea.

>> The LDAP support in curl is not in a perfect shape. To say it gently.
>
> What is wrong with it?

Numerous things, but possibly the biggest ones are:

1. It doesn't use the OpenLDAP lib properly. It dlopens() the *.so file which
    is considered badness and might break any day they change API.

2. The transfer loop is made outside of the main libcurl loop, making it
    impossible to use nicely with the libcurl multi interface.

3. Binary entries: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2005-05/0244.html

4. No test cases/server to verify functionality.