Re: calculating checksum on a file posted to a secure FTP site

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:02:31 -0700

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 10:49:51PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, pits34_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >I am using curl to put a file at a secure FTP site.
> >
> >Is it possible to get an md5 checksum of the file just put on the FTP
> >site. Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> There's no magic FTP commands or anything that calculates md5 sums. I'd
> suggest you write a script that runs on the server and md5 checksums new
> uploads.

With the help of the system administrator, you could probably get the
"magic" command "SITE EXEC md5sum file" command to work. I've even seen
a wu-ftpd installation that implements 'SITE CHECKSUM' and 'SITE CHECKMETHOD'
commands, which sound suspiciously like they might do what you want.
There's no way to do what you want that will work everywhere, though.

>>> Dan