Re: Improvement/bugfix to the curl configure script

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 22:52:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005, Bernard Leak wrote:

> I just tripped up over this: I have just built and installed Apache-2.0.54
> (supplying libgssapiv2.so), but it has been installed in a slightly
> old-fashioned style, divided between /usr/inc, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, &c. As
> such, I can't usefully specify --with-gssapi, but I can and do specify
> --with-gssapi-includes and --with-gssapi-libs.

I try to understand how you building Apache is related to curl's configure,
but I fail.

> I am not submitting this as a formal patch script, because I'd like to
> provoke some thought about what ought to be happening!

I appreciate your time and efforts, but an attached patch to follow your
explanation and reasoning would've been nice.

I should also add a note here that we have no tests for GSS within the curl
project, and I know of very few people who ever used it and I'm not even sure
the GSS stuff still works. It is just a feature that was once added and that's
never confirmed, fixed nor touched anymore. So it is no surprised to me (and
shouldn't be to anyone else) that it has flaws.

> I think that $libsuff is a stray bit of nonsense. Even if it does make
> sense sometimes, surely it doesn't belong as a decoration to the pathname of
> a parent directory?

Have you been doing lots of configure hacking on numerous platforms, at least
involving IRIX using different 32/64 bits etc builds? If not, how can you
dismiss the libsuffix use? If you have, can you explain how you achieve the
same without the use of that variable?

> I am also surprised that $GSSAPI_LIB_DIR seems to be a set of linker flags.
> It's inherited from the calling environment (well, it *could* be a shell
> variable if 'configure' were invoked with 'source', but who does that?),

I do. Very often. In fact, I invoke configure with source almost exclusively.

I fail to see how that is relevant here though.

> Any thoughts? Violent disagreement? Patient explanations that I've missed
> the point entirely?

I got lost there.

Feel free to provide a patch. As far as I know, you are the only user that
uses GSS with curl so if you claim some changes improve curl's ability to
build with some GSS libs then I have no reason or ability to doubt what you
say and I'll happily and gratiously apply and commit your improvements!

> BTW, I've got cURL to link happily with libgssapiv2.so from Apache 2.054
> simply by replacing 'lgssapi' with 'lgssapiv2'.

I didn't even know apache had a gss lib.