Re: SOCKS5 and IPv6

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:39:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Christian Biere wrote:

> I stumbled over a mail in which you (Daniel) claim that SOCKS version 5
> doesn't support IPv6. That's not correct. RFC 1928 specifies support for
> IPv6. Whether that's implemented in the SOCKS5 proxy software is another
> question.

I must've been referring to curl, or at least I should've. The SOCKS support
in curl does not support IPv6.

> Maybe you want to change curl to add IPv6 support over SOCKS5.

I doubt you'll find me do that (without someone paying me for it). I don't
have any socks proxy, and I've never even used SOCKS anywhere using any tool
during my whole life.

If anyone still uses SOCKS and such a person finds use for IPv6 support for it
in curl, I'm sure that someone can do a patch...

I would personally rather prefer to first get:

1) a SOCKS test server for the curl test suite

2) proper asynchronous SOCKS code that prevents a blocking behaviour

Thanks anyway for the remark!