Common HTTP proxy authentication for curl and libcurl

From: Dirk Behme <dirk.behme_at_de.bosch.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 17:45:59 +0200

Hello,

I try to use source code management tool git with HTTP proxy which needs
authentication with user and password. If I use curl command line tool
with

curl -x proxy:port -U user www.kernel.org

I'm asked for proxy password, proxy is happy and I get index page from
www.kernel.org.

With git the issue is now that it uses a combination of curl in script
files _and_ libcurl in compiled source code. Is there any possibility to
tell command line curl _and_ libcurl proxy & port & user ( & passwd) in
a common way?

I can do something like

alias pcurl="curl -x proxy:port -U user"

and replace all curl with pcurl in git scripts, but as I understand it
this wouldn't help for libcurl?

I asked on git mailing list, and they told me that curl in git scripts
and libcurl in executables will evaluate .netrc. But as I understand it,
with .netrc it isn't possible to specify proxy settings like above?

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Dirk