Using MGET to download files with the mask *.csv

From: David Pearson <dave_at_sure24.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:08:47 +0100

Hi,

        Is it possible using '-X MGET ...' to download all files with a
particular mask ('*.csv' or just '*') from a remote FTP folder.

I tried the following code...

curl -O -X MGET [address]:21/www/catalog/orders/*
ftp://[username]:[password]@[address]:21

but this doesnt work. :o(

The error response I get is...

curl: (23) Failed writing body
curl: (28) Resolving host timed out: [address]

yet if I do...

curl -o output.tmp -X MGET [address]:21/www/catalog/orders/*
ftp://[username]:[password]@[address]:21

it 'appears' to be working and downloading the files with the output
going to output.tmp but the resulting file is as follows...

220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [TLS] ----------
220-You are user number 1 of 50 allowed.
220-Local time is now 16:40. Server port: 21.
220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
530 You aren't logged in
500 ?
500 ?
500 ?
500 ?
421 Timeout - try typing a little faster next time

I know that the command...

curl -O
ftp://[username]:[password]@[address]:21/www/catalog/orders/WSOR[00000-99999].csv

work but takes forever (hours) as it tries every possible combination
rather than just getting the files that exist.

What am I doing wrong or is what I want to do not possible?

Thanks in advance...

Dave