50% cpu use on OS X

From: Sami Tikka <sontikka_at_welho.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 00:27:09 +0300

Hello! I'm not sure if this is the correct way to report bugs but here
goes anyway:

$ curl -V
curl 7.10.2 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.0) libcurl/7.10.2 OpenSSL/0.9.7b
zlib/1.1.4

running on Mac OS X 10.3.9.

The problem is that curl seems to take a lot more cpu that it needs to.
It seems to consume more than 50% of cpu while downloading 40kB/s over
my slow cable modem. This is annoying because it makes my Mac mini's
fan spin fast and then it is no longer completely silent.

I did some tracing and it seems that curl is repeatedly calling read(),
which returns with -1 (errno=35).

For comparison I compiled wget and found it takes < 1% cpu when
downloading the same file at the same speed. (= no fan noise :)

Just thought I'd let you know,

-- Sami