automating authentication...

From: Girish Keswani <girishkeswani_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 19:49:55 -0700

I am totally new to cURL. But would it be possible for you to let me know if
I can automate the following process.

The whole objective is to be able to download a couple of web-pages behind
the login screen.

Usually what I do is:
- specify the URL
- this redirects me to authentication screen and asks me for user-name and
password, I have to manually enter this
- once the authentication is done, it takes me to the page of interest.

I want to automate the complete process... and the manual authentication is
totally screwing this up. Is there a way to be able to automate this
completely using CURL or any other scheme? Please let me know on this.

I will prefer perl based solution.

thanks,
-girish