RE: Outputting HTTP request to a file

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:36:02 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> To answer your second question, yes, I've experimented with the -D option.
> Have you?
>
> By trying a couple of combinations, I'm seeing that -D will dump the
> response headers into a separate file (if "-D filename" is specified) or
> include them as part of stdout (if "-D -" is specified). But it doesn't
> appear to make the request headers available.

Correct. I've always considered the outgoing (request-) headers to be mainly
for debugging and thus they are only displayed with -v or --trace.

If we were to add the outgoing headers to the -i or -D output, how would they
be marked up? Just added without any notification of direction?

I think it would make the least intrusion and breakage if -i got them, as I
believe -D is used more widely to store incoming headers separately.

I'm not 100% convinced yet that this is a good idea.