Re: interactive ftps session with curl

From: Edward Peschko <esp5_at_pge.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:07:24 -0800

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:58:05PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Edward Peschko wrote:
>
> >Believe it or not, I've been to that page, checked out all the
> >implementations, and there isn't a single one that satisfies my
> >requirements
>
> Wow!

yeah, it sucks. People assume that things are covered, and something
this simple falls through the cracks. My best bet with the other
clients would be to port ftp-ssl from NetBSD to solaris, which is
a high price to pay just to use the tool.

> >Can you possibly do ls, etc. all through curl's interface, or am I out of
> >luck here?
>
> Yes you can:
>
> curl -ftp-ssl ftp://machine.site.com/path/
>
> If you end the URL with a slash, curl will assume that the right-most part
> is a dir and use LIST in there. If you omit the slash, it'll consider it as
> a file and attempt to RETR it.

well, that's cool, but I was thinking of something more along the lines of:

curl -ftp-ssl ftp://machine.site.com --batch <list_of_ftp_commands>

where <list_of_ftp_commands> contains 'ls', 'cd', etc.

IMO this would be a much more useful interface into both ftp and ftps. It
also mirrors what OpenSSL has done with sftp.

Ed