Re: curl: (52) Empty reply from server

From: Tim Tassonis <timtas_at_cubic.ch>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:00:36 +0100

Hi Daniel

> What IP/host name would your request come from? I could check my logs to see
> how/if your request appears there.

I now checked that, the request doesn't appear in the server's log.

> > The strange thing is: No other application seems to mind my network
> > settings. As mentioned before, dillo, w3m, firefox and even telnet all
> > return the requested pages that curl doesn't.
>
> I'm speachless.
>
> > I will try to recompile curl with libcurl statically linked and see if that
> > changes anything.
>
> If it does, I'll be even more puzzled.

It didn't. Even downgrading to curl7.11 didn't help.

But last night i remembered that we are running a transpartent Proxy somewhere on the firewall and I'm now quite sure the problem lies there somehow.

I just now found out that our transparent proxy seems to get confused with curl's user agent header.

A request

curl -A curl http://curl.haxx.se/

get's through, a request

curl http://curl.haxx.se/

doesn't.

So I've got to talk to our network people. But just so I know: is your User Agent Header:

RFC conform? (just in case they tell me: "Fix curl, we do the right thing).

Bye
Tim