Can't get curl to compile with SSL option, PLEASE HELP!!!

From: <sales_at_nitromax.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:15:12 -0600

I am trying to get curl to compile with SSL support, but I keep getting the
following errors when runing the ./configure:

gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/curl main.o hugehelp.o urlglob.o writeout.o writeenv.o
getpass.o homedir.o strtoofft.o timeval.o -L/usr/local/ssl/lib
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so -lssl -lcrypto -ldl -lz
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `DES_set_odd_parity'
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `UI_OpenSSL'
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `DES_set_key'
../lib/.libs/libcurl.so: undefined reference to `DES_ecb_encrypt'

I have tried reinstalling openssl and nothing I do seems to solve this
problem shown above. I am running a Pentium 4 2Ghz server loaded with
RedHat 7.3 and the latest build of cPanel. I hope someone has seen this
before and knows how to solve it. I found only one recommendation located at
the following URL, but I don't belive I have the an old installation of
openssl as it mentions: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2004-07/0066.html

Thank you in advance if anyone can help!

CR...