Re: Is --ftp-retry a good idea?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 22:37:33 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Rich Gray wrote:

> So I guess --max-time should be per attempt. --retry-max-time would then be
> a way to set an outer time limit.

Yeps, this is what I'll do.

> Another thought on retries is the retry interval. I'd make the case that
> instead of a simple inter-retry interval, one might set an interval based on
> the start time of each attempt. --retry-interval could specify that a retry
> would be attempted no more often than the given number of seconds.

Why is that a better approach? I think of the delay as a period of time when
we do nothing to allow the remote server to get less loaded and thus be able
to provide service again. Then I think it makes sense to stay away from the
server a period, not limiting requests to a fixed interval.

> curl ... --max-time 60 --retry-interval 30 --retry-max-time 600 ...

In my head, I think of a system where --retry-max-time sets the maximum time
allowed, but the --retry still sets the amount of requests to attempt. So that

  curl --max-time 60 --retry 40 --retry-max-time 600

... will stop either after 40 retries or after 10 minutes, whichever comes
first.