Re: cURL for VAX VMS 6.2

From: <vms_curl_at_kuhrt.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:46:00 -0700

>Subj: Re: cURL for VAX VMS 6.2
>On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Robert Bustichi wrote:
>
>> Is there a compiled version of cURL available for VMS 6.2 on VAX?
>
>We list all packages we know on the download page. If it isn't there, we
>don't know about it.
>
>I take it the VMS VAX package isn't good enough?
>http://curl.haxx.se/latest.cgi?curl=vms-vax-zip

Nope. The one on the site was compiled on VAX/VMS 7.3. VMS
executables are upward compatible, but not downward. An
executable compiled for 7.3 won't run on 6.2. An exe compiled on
6.2 will run on 7.3 (in most cases, anyway).

>> I have tried to compile the source so far without any luck using DECC 5.7
>> Seem to be some issues with missing header files and functions.
>
>If you're up to it, we can bounce mails back and forth and try to get it to
>compile. I wouldn't mind adjusting curl to build fine on this setup.
>
>If not, we have to wait and see if there's any VMS-skilled person in the
>audience that can speak up.

It's not just a header file problem, it is a C RTL problem, too.
cURL calls a number of RTL things that just don't exist in V6.2,
hence the V7.3 build.

I tried a V6.2 build, but the more I worked on it, the more I
realized it was going to be more effort than I cared to exert. I
would up upgrading the one VAX I had running V6.2 to V7.3 that I
want to run cURL stuff on because it was easier. I still have a
V6.2 machine for other projects, but I pretty much gave up on
cURL for V6.2.