Re: curl-config

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:24:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Todd Fisher wrote:

> Attached, is a patch for curl-config. It detects via CC if the msvc
> compilier is being used and returns linker flags that would be appropriate
> for the msvc compilier.

This puzzles me a lot (still):

When is this useful?

curl-config is generated when configure is run (based on the template
curl-config.in and results that the script figures out) and thus you must not
patch curl-config itself, patches should be made on the .in file.

But you can build libcurl with multiple different options even when MSVC is
used (see the root Makefile for a few targets that visualises this). How can
you make curl-config reflect what build target that was used?

Finally, on most systems where people use MSVC they don't run configure and
thus they don't get a curl-config script made and they can therefore not use
it.

I don't want to ruin good ideas or obstruct useful things, but I just can't
get a grip of this.