Re: Delete remote file

From: Derek Goring <nztideman_at_yahoo.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:42:14 +1200 (NZST)

--- Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se> wrote: >
Derek Goring wrote:
> > Thank you for quoting the manual, which I'd
> already
> > read. I tried:
> > -Q -delete
> > but got:
> > curl: <21> QUOT string not accepted: delete
> >
> > What is the correct string for delete? Or is
> there a
> > better way?
>
> Maybe I should have directed you to the RFC for the
> FTP protocol
> instead. :-) There is no "delete" command in the
> FTP protocol, it's
> called "dele".
>
> Try -Q "-DELE filename" ftp://.....
>
> Linus

Thank you Linus, that works OK.

For future reference, how would I find out about this
if we didn't have this listserver? The DOS ftp
facility uses delete (or abbreviations), so I assumed
delete was the right command.

Also, I tend to put things like this at the end of the
curl command line, not the beginning. Is there a
preferred way of doing it? And if so, why?

=====
Derek Goring
Mulgor Consulting Ltd
24 Brockworth Place