Reusing connection causes slower responses

From: Gayathri Dongre <g_subrama_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I've been experimenting with using libcurl (7.10.7)
from my Solaris 2.8 based application to post to a
http/1.0 server that handles keep alives.

The interesting thing is that Curl seems to return
server responses to the app faster with a brand new
handle and therefore a new connection than when i'm
reusing the handle to have it reuse the connection.

I'm using a very simple case of:

 chandle = curl_easy_init();
 curl_easy_setopt(chandle,...);
 curl_easy_perform(chandle);

to use a new handle everytime. I skip step-1 and use a
cached handle to the rest of the calls to reuse the
connection. I can tell using netstat that it does
reuse the connection when i intend it to.

Any ideas on why responses seem slower while reusing
connections?

Thanks!