syntax problems connecting to an ftp-server through a firewall

From: <papa.looser_at_freenet.de>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 11:37:09 +0200

Hi there,

I usually connect to a ftp-server via a firewall by hand using the following commands (and messages):
(This is done similiar on Windows and AIX 5.1)

>ftp myproxy
Connected to myproxy.
220-Welcome to the FTP proxy...
User : user
Password: password
230 User authenticated to proxy
ftp>user anonymous@111.111.111.111
331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password: mail@mymail.com
230 Welcome to ...
ftp>ls -lart

Now I tried to get this challenging job done more easily using curl with the following options (in a couple of varitiations).

curl -U user:password -x myproxy:21 ftp://111.111.111.111 -X 'user anonymous@111.111.111.111'

curl can connect successfully to the firewal, but the following command cannot be executed,
meaning, it cannot connect to the ftp-server:

500 command not understood

could somebody help me in finding the correct syntax for the upper process?

Thanks in advance,

Papa Looser