Re: Problem with Microsoft 2003 ftp server

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 12:57:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Eric VERGNAUD wrote:

> When a user named John connects to the server, and curl sends a PWD command
> to discover the entry point, the server returns:
>
> /John/RootDir/SubDir/Etc/
>
> Rather than
>
> /RootDir/SubDir/Etc/

... and you are saying that /John is no actual directory?

Can you show us a "curl -v" output from an attempted transfer with this?

> However, when curl then issues a series of CWD command to switch to the
> target directory, using ftp_cwd_and_mkd, the first call fails with a 550
> (file doesn't exist).

How come? What does the URL look like that you're trying to fetch?

> Is the Microsoft ftp server behaviour RFC compliant ?

I can't tell yet, I need more input.

> If so, would it be correct to check for equality between user name and
> directory name for the first path component BEFORE issuing a ftp_cwd_and mkd
> call, or is it better to check for the error after ?

Such a check would be HORRIBLE. It just must be a way to circumvent that. Do
you know of any (Microsoft?) documentation describing this?

> Other ftp clients like transmit seem to support this behaviour

Can you get a trace of the commands/responses a working client performs with
the server and see what it sends/receives?

> I've changed the code in ftp.c to support this, who should I send this to ?

I want more data on this problem before we discuss details on exactly what
patches that need to be made.