FTP CWD problem introduced with 7.11.x

From: Ridley, John <john.ridley_at_thomson.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:34:40 -0400

Hi, I'm new to the list. I've been using curl for quite a while now, but
I'm hitting some snags that are actually problems with the program, so here
I am.

The new method that curl uses to CWD for FTP transfers seems to me to be
ill-advised.

Specfically, when it tries to work in a directory /foo/bar/, it now tries to
CWD to foo, and then to bar.

The old behavior was to just CWD to foo/bar/ all in one step.

This does not work for me, because I do not have access to get into the
directory /foo. As soon as that is tried, it fails and that's the end.

It appears that the reason for the change is so that curl can create the
whole directory tree if needed, by stepping there one directory at a time.

This is fine, since it requires the command-line --ftp-create-dirs to
enable. However, it seems to me that it's not worth breaking CWD.

I've put in a hack on my local lib/ftp.c to just paste ftp->dirs[] back into
one string and do the CD. However, I do not submit that this is the answer;
I only want to point out that the current method has problems, and deserves
some thought.

BTW, if I see issues with the source code, where should I send them? Here,
or somewhere else? I didn't see a developers list. I came across some
odd-looking code and would like to mention it to someone.