RE: Hostname resolve sequence using the Ares library in Curl

From: Frank Ticheler <frank.ticheler_at_logicacmg.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 17:38:33 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Stenberg, Sent: 4 Nov 2003

> Standard or not, it seems to be commonly used all over, judging from
> a little googling on the subject. I would expect it to support both!

Well, that's possible ofcourse. Ares initializes itself using the order: by
options (c-api), by resolv.conf and by defaults. So the reading of
nsswitch.conf shall be added somewhere in this. I also saw that some systems
use the /etc/host.conf file which can be added as well. I need to check what
would be the best order to read / check all these files.

By the way, the default sequence is "bf" (bind files). I don't know if this
is 'standard' behaviour but I would have expected the other way around.

> Would you be able to provide a patch to introduce this?

Not yet. I assume we will implement this someway soon, but I really can't
tell when this will be. I expect that to be in one or two months.

Frank