Re: could curl support script executing?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:05:51 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Stefan Chang wrote:

> I understand curl is only an HTTP client in www world, not a full functional
> browser. while sometimes I want to test my webpage with curl, which has some
> javascript within, also with some popup windows, could curl catch them like
> navigating with IExplorer or Mozilla, all under console environment?

Ralph Mitchell once posted an excellent "HOWTO", describing how you could in
fact get .pac files (they are javascript) executed and then get the proxy set
in there used by curl:

        http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2002-06/0104.html

The 'js' link provided in that post has since changed to:

        ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/

In other words: sure, you can probably build a tool that can interpret
javascript by combining the mozilla javascript engine with curl, but there's
no current automated way to do it.