Re: Curl goes to my server if url contains an invalid subdomain but a valid domain

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 08:25:13 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, babak badaei wrote:

> Hello, when use curl and go to a valid domain with an invalid subdomain, it
> grabs a page of my server.  Also, some urls that do exist mimic this error,
> ie, https://cart.bamart.com/payment.mart%a0I'm not sure why this error only
> occurs on my FreeBSD box.
>
> Even on cygwin I do not get this error. I just finished compiling the latest
> version of CURL on my FreeBSD box and the same thing happens!  I can't
> figure it out!!   If anyone has any suggestion I'd gladly like to hear it.

I don't understand your mail.

curl resolves the name you pass on to it. It then uses one of the returned IP
addresses and connects to it (and if that fails, it tries the next IP if
there's any). It then asks the server for the given document path.

The server then responds.

If curl resolves a bad subdomain, it is because the domain has been setup to
allow that in their DNS config. It isn't something curl decides on its own.

The page it gets from the server is exactly what the server wants curl to get
when it attempts to get that page.

I must lack sleep or coffee or something, but I don't understand what the
problem is.