newbie https certificate questions

From: Justin Worrall <Justin.Worrall_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 08:51:59 +0100

Hi,

I am trying to get curl to perform a connection to an https server. I am
well used to performing standard http get/post connections, but the
world of ssl, encryption, certificates etc is new to me. I have been
reading the section on https in
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/readme.curl.html, and I have a couple of newbie
questions I was hoping someone could answer, or at least point me in the
direction of a resource.

1) It sounds as if each browser contains a "personal" certificate which
assists the server in authentication. If I want to access an https site
in the same manner as my browser, I need to

- export the browser's certificate
- convert from PKCS#12 format to PEM format using OpenSSL
- use the PEM formatted certificate as a -E option with curl

is this correct ?

2) http://curl.haxx.se/docs/httpscripting.html suggests there are a
number of ways of doing https connections. In particular it suggests
that sometimes you might not need a certificate (ie just use 'curl
https:/www.xxx') at all. How does one determine whether one needs a
certificate to access a site or not ?

thanks,

Justin

--
This is not an offer (or solicitation of an offer) to buy/sell the
securities/instruments mentioned or an official confirmation.  Morgan
Stanley may deal as principal in or own or act as market maker for
securities/instruments mentioned or may advise the issuers.  This may
refer to a research analyst/research report. Unless indicated, these
views are the author's and may differ from those of Morgan Stanley
research or others in the Firm. We do not represent this is accurate or
complete and we may not update this.  Past performance is not indicative
of future returns. For additional information, research reports and
important disclosures, contact me or see https://secure.ms.com.  You
should not use email to request, authorize or effect the purchase or
sale of any security or instrument, to send transfer instructions, or to
effect any other transactions.  We cannot guarantee that any such
requests received via email will be processed in a timely manner.  This
communication is solely for the addressee(s) and may contain
confidential information.  We do not waive confidentiality by
mistransmission.  Contact me if you do not wish to receive these
communications.  In the UK, this communication is directed in the UK to
those persons who are market counterparties or intermediate customers
(as defined in the UK Financial Services Authority's rules).