SSL: couldn't create a context!

From: <rab_at_noldar.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2003 09:25:52 -0500

I have a user that is having intermittent problems with curl accessing an
https site using PHP. I can recreate the problem, but I haven't been able to
figure out what's causing it.

curl_errorno() returns a value of 27 and curl_error() returns "SSL: couldn't
create a context!". In the apache error log I also see these entries.

* About to connect() to www.privacycall.com:443
* Connected to privacycall.com (162.42.131.214) port 443
* SSL: couldn't create a context!
* Closing connection #0

Here is the PHP code that is being used.

   $ch = curl_init();
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $authurl);
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $req_string);
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 120);
   curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_VERBOSE, 1);
   $auth_return = curl_exec ($ch);

PHP is version is 4.3.3, curl is version 7.10.5, OpenSSL is version 0.9.6b.
I've tried downgrading curl to version 7.9.5 since the user said they are
using this on another server running this version of curl. I've also tried
compiling PHP without the --with-openssl option because I found an old message
that said this would fix the problem in an older version of PHP, but it didn't
make any difference.

We've tried connecting to two different https sites from two different domains
on the server and the problem occurs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Richard Butler