RE: user:password inside URL

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MAPLLC.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:59:33 -0400

-----Original Message-----
> (1) embedded in the URL like http://user:password@host:port
> (2) with --user
>
> There's a big note in docs/MANUAL that (1) doesn't work when using a proxy.
> I'm curious as to why since curl seems to be doing the parsing anyway and it
> seems like curl could make the bytes on the wire appear the same whether (1)
> or (2) was used.

Just one quick question: is it possible that any HTTP proxy servers
understand the embedded name:password combo? If so, then curl would
probably still need to support leaving that info IN the url, rather
than stripping it out and sending it as an authorization header...

I'm pretty sure MS Proxy Server 2.0 (yes, this is severely outdated,
but my company still uses it...) supports name:password combos embedded
inside ftp:// urls when proxying them over HTTP; but I don't know whether
it supports anything similar for http:// urls.

(of course, in the ftp case, I believe MS Proxy Server actually tries
to interpret the embedded user:password as your PROXY SERVER authentication,
rather than your authentication to the remote system ...)

- Kevin