RE: patch to print version info on stderr

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:33:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, David Byron wrote:

> How's this?

It looks like a working approach, sure, but you haven't convinced me that we
need it in the first place.

This is a fairly complicated way to add a function to curl, that all operating
systems already provide. Redirecting version info from stdout is nothing curl
needs to bother with. Redirecting stderr was a silly enough feature to add,
and that was done only because some systems don't offer enough flexibility to
differentiate between stdout and stderr.

I don't think the use case "I write a program that wants to check the curl
version and I can't use a normal system call to fetch stdout" is very common.