--limit-rate

From: David Byron <DByron_at_everdreamcorp.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:26:56 -0700

We're doing some testing here of the --limit-rate option and something has
come to mind. This may be obvious, but since I'm basically relying on the
curl man page for the spec for this feature I'm curious whether you'd
consider a patch to docs/curl.1 and probably docs/MANUAL that points out
that the limit is on the amount of user data being transferred and does not
take any protocol overhead into consideration.

I am not suggesting any change to the implementation. I think it works fine
as it is from looking at the code, but it is a bit hard to tell by looking
at a protocol analyzer. At least until we dive into ethereal a bit more and
learn how to ask it for the maximum number of http payload bytes transferred
in one second.

As well, if anyone else has tested this feature, can they share the test
setup?

Thanks much.

-DB