Re: curl for embedded systems ??

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:47:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Harit Patel wrote:

> I am new to this forum and I wanted to ask a fundamental question before
> proceeding to learn the library.

Welcome to the curl corner of the universe! Let me start by pointing out that
if you're into the libcurl view of things, then the curl-library mailing list
might be a better place to post questions.

> I need to use some simple browser functions (HTTP + SSL) to request HTML
> pages and to POST to a webserver. I need to do this from an embedded system
> and hence the code needs to be small. I tried to use libwww and although I
> can get the work done, the binary code is still of the order of 4 MB which
> is too big for my system.

Hehe. I figure.

> I was now wondering if anyone could help me understand the way this library
> would function predominantly with respect to the binary size of the final
> code. I will be using BASIC calls like GET, POST etc and a little bit in
> COOKIE handling and SSL. Given these requirements, if someone can give me an
> idea of how BIG the final code would be that would be great.
>
> ALso what is the size of the code when you just initialise the library and
> compile it?

It is quite impossible to say, as you don't mention anything about what CPU it
is. You do know that it'll differ quite a lot between various platforms,
right?

I suggest you go ahead and build it for your target and install it, then
you'll see for yourself without having to rely on anyone's guesses here. Just
remember to strip things to make them as small as possible. You should be able
to get the library size down to a lot less than 200K on a x86/pentium clone
(as the full curl tool is jus about 200K when built for windows and that
contains a huge chunk of help texts and client-side code).

Also, remember that libwww provides a whole lot more functionality than
libcurl does, so if you need any of that functionality you may need to provide
it using additional code.