Re: need help with ftp options

From: Steven R. Shourds <srs_at_perfectionsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 16:08:05 -0400

> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:
>
> > Is it possible that the quoted strings are case-sensitive?
>
> Note that the 'user' command you give your ftp client, is normally
converted
> into a "USER" command sent to the ftp server (this is often verifyable by
> using ftp -d or by issuing the 'debug' command, which then shows all
> command/responses sent and received). curl does no such conversion, so
you
> should consider typing "USER" instead.
>
> Some ftp servers are known to react badly on lowercase commands, perhaps
is
> Steven's proxy one of those.
>
> > Can you manually (from ftp.exe) try issueing that extra PWD command and
see
> > whether that actually messes up the FTP session or not?
>
> That's a very good idea.

When issuing the PWD command manually it has no affect. It gives the same
error message (500 must be connected to remote server) but the rest of the
commands work fine when entered manually.

I called up the company and they seem to think the PWD is getting in the way
anyway when doing it with cURL so it may be of some use to be able to move
that around in the future.

Here are the results. Feel free to try it yourself. It is just a test
account.

D:\Program Files\D3\D3Programs>curl -Q "USER \"8007667530_at_edi.mema.geis.com
15171\"" -Q "PASS PASSWORD" -T D:\FILES\TECH\CURL\testit.txt -u
mema137:mema137KH ftp.translink.geis.com -v
* About to connect() to ftp.translink.geis.com:21
* Connected to ftp.translink.geis.com (204.90.130.189) port 21
< 220-
< ********************************* WARNING *****************************
< This system is for use by authorized users only.
< ***********************************************************************
< All activities on this system are recorded and may be monitored for the
< purpose of tracking down intruders. In the course of monitoring
individuals
< improperly using this system or during system maintenance, the activities
of
< authorized users may also be monitored.
<
< Anyone using this system expressly consents to such monitoring and is
advised
< that if such monitoring reveals possible evidence of criminal activity,
< system personnel may provide the evidence of such monitoring to law
< enforcement officials.
<
< GE Global Exchange Services, Inc. 100 Edison Park Drive, Gaithersburg, MD
208
78 ***********************************************************************
< 220 Proxy first requires authentication
> USER mema137
< 331 Enter authentication password for mema137
> PASS mema137KH
< 230 User authenticated to proxy
* We have successfully logged in
> PWD
< 500 must be connected to remote server
> USER "8007667530_at_edi.mema.geis.com 15171"
< 500-You are not permitted access to that system/service.
< 500
* QUOT string not accepted: USER "8007667530_at_edi.mema.geis.com 15171"
curl: (21) QUOT string not accepted: USER "8007667530_at_edi.mema.geis.com
15171"
* Closing connection #0
: