RE: need help with ftp options

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:25:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Roth, Kevin P. wrote:

> Is it possible that the quoted strings are case-sensitive?

Note that the 'user' command you give your ftp client, is normally converted
into a "USER" command sent to the ftp server (this is often verifyable by
using ftp -d or by issuing the 'debug' command, which then shows all
command/responses sent and received). curl does no such conversion, so you
should consider typing "USER" instead.

Some ftp servers are known to react badly on lowercase commands, perhaps is
Steven's proxy one of those.

> Can you manually (from ftp.exe) try issueing that extra PWD command and see
> whether that actually messes up the FTP session or not?

That's a very good idea.

> As far as suppressing it, I'll have to defer to someone else (don't have
> time to look into the source code, but I'm not aware of any curl.exe
> command-line option for suppressing it).

Nope, there's no such way today. The PWD command is essential for curl's
ability to do multiple transfers using the same control connection. For that
to work, it really needs to find out in what directory it ends up in directly
after login.

I think I once decided to do the quote commands after that PWD just to now
allow them to ruin the PWD in case they change directory etc.

I am prepared to add some means to prevent the PWD or possible move it to
after the quote commands, if we come to the conclusion that it is what causes
Steven's problem.