Re: Patch for compressed help

From: Gisle Vanem <gvanem_at_broadpark.no>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:53:53 +0200

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se> said:

> <perl school>
>
> By the use of the -s command line option to perl. It makes the command line
> arguments given to the script get importet to the script as global variables:
>
> perl -s mkhelp.pl -c
>
> ... makes $c defined in the script.

Thanks, good to know, but I prefer the shift()...

> Does my attached patch work for you? It is a smaller change than your patch,
> but should still do the same basics you need I think.

Yes, it works fine now. Except for a small warning:

groff -man ../docs/curl.1 | perl -w ./mkhelp.pl -c ../README > hugehelp.c
Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at ./mkhelp.pl line 47, <STDIN> line 7.

PS. I get:
/* This mumbo-jumbo is the huge help text compressed with gzip.
   Thanks to this operation, the size of this data shrunk from 59647
   to 17357 bytes. You can disable the use of compressed help

In your hugehelp.c the size was shrunk from 89349. My docs/curl.1
is 43120 bytes and the README is 2286 bytes. Can't be that must
difference in groff and nroff. What did I miss?

--gv