Re: cURL and SSL

From: Ralph Mitchell <rmitchell_at_eds.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 07:42:51 -0500

I have empirical evidence confirming what Daniel said about SSL encryption.

I just tried fetching a file from one of my own servers using both http
and https, while watching the transactions with ethereal.

With the non-secure link, there's an exchange of SYN & ACK packets,
followed by the GET, in which I can see the minimally-encoded
userid/password.

With the secure link, the initial SYN/ACK sequence is immediately
followed by an "SSLv2 Client Hello" packet, then key exchange packets.
 So, the SSL handshake takes place immediately after SYN/ACK, and
everything else is encrypted. I don't see anything like the
minimally-encoded userid/password.

Ralph Mitchell