RE: cURL and SSL

From: Bowden, Todd <todd.bowden_at_atosorigin.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:08:20 -0400

Can cURL work in conjunction with SSH?

Todd C. Bowden

-----Original Message-----
From: Carter Harris [mailto:carter-lists_at_technettn.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 6:55 AM
To: curl-users_at_lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: cURL and SSL

I have two security questions:

1. I want to send a file to an ftp server using cURL. The ftp server
(Serv-U) will accept SSL connections and generates it's own private
certificate. I contacted Serv-U to determine if the cert had a file name so
I could make a copy of it to use with cURL but was told there was not a file
that "it just accepts SSL connections".

I tested sending a file it was transferred to Serv-U with and without the -k
switch without a problem.

I checked the logs on the ftp server and there is nothing to tell me that
SSL was used. Is there anyway to tell from the cURL side?

Is there a way to be confident that this file is being securely transferred?

2. I also used cURL to connect to an HTTPS server and download a file or
two. The HTTPS server required a uid and pwd in encrypted using Base64
Encoding. I accomplished this by using the coded text in the -u parameter
and it worked just fine.

I pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that uid and pwd are always sent
clear-text since the logon takes place before the SSL handshake takes place.
Is there some sort of standard encryption that can be used for uid and pwd?

Daniel: I'm really enjoying using your program; it's a great piece of code.
It won't be retirement-time but I will hit you with paypal real soon.
Thanks again. -Carter