Re: Configuration Question

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 08:53:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Carter Harris wrote:

> I'm trying to configure curl to upload a file to an FTP server. Both the
> client and the server are behind a routers with only selected ports open
> (i.e. ports backed by secure software).

This is a common problem, and the solution to this is often a
stateful-inspection firewall that knows the FTP protocol and can adjust to
what port(s) the software wants.

> The command I am using is:

> Since both of these computers are web servers I have a security
> problem--how do I complete this connection without compromising security on
> either end. (I currently backup every open port with software that
> requires some type of security--a login for example.) I feel like the
> problem is that the connection on port 3206 (whatever port is assigned--it
> varies) cannot be done because that port is not open on the client machine.
> I opened a port on the client machine and tried to specify the port on the
> -P switch but it didn't seem to work.

-P does not handle port number(s). I would like it to do that, but currently
it doesn't. It is mentioned in the TODO document.

Would you be able to produce a patch?

> Am I thinking clearly here?

I think you are.