Re: Debian curl package depends on gcc-3.2?

From: Ralph Mitchell <rmitchell_at_eds.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 05:41:07 -0500

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Domenico Andreoli wrote:
>
> > finally i was shown that curl needs some symbols from libgcc-3.2 on arm.
> > hence it cannot go in testing before gcc 3.2.
>
> I've followed this thread[0] on and off with greatest interest.
>
> Daniel Jacobowitz mentioned[1] that "the excessive libgcc1 dependencies on
> ARM are a compiler bug,". So perhaps this will be fixed.
>
> I've built curl myself on several ARM versions using multiple operating
> systems, I've never needed gcc 3.2 for that. Whatever makes the package
> depend on this, I can tell you that it isn't any magic in curl.
>
> I've noticed that recently the dependency was changed to be on gcc 3.3
> instead, and with this kind of moving target I'm not surprised that curl no
> longer get accepted into "testing".

It's likely to be a dependancy chain, then. Curl is dependant on libssl, libc6,
etc, which in turn are dependant on -> ????? That's the kind of thing that
drove me to abandon RedHat - I wanted to update something like openssl, but to
remove the original I'd have had to uninstall KDE and X11 as well. Gentoo is a
lot more forgiving... :)

Ralph