Re: use curl with https

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:04:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Carl Youngblood wrote:

> Ideally, I would like the windows binaries to be packaged in such a way,
> that, after installing curl, the CA certs that I needed to securely connect
> to most web sites would already be installed.

Apparently the CA cert file included in the windows zip file is wrongly named
and thus not found and used by curl by default.

Kevin Roth already made curl automaticly detect and use the CA certs on
Windows. If the file is put in curl'd folder, or in any folder in your PATH,
and is named "curl-ca-bundle.crt".

When curl finds and uses this bundle, it'll be able to verify a good number
of HTTPS sites "out of the box".

> Unfortunately my solution needs to work on windows and I have never
> bothered trying to get curl compiled on windows, but it appears that, in
> order to run curl-config, which seems to be the only way to bundle more CA
> certs with curl, I need to compile the source.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression. curl-config is merely an information
tool, so 'curl-config --ca' only outputs the path to the installed ca bundle
file. The Windows approach as mentioned above was added just because curl
isn't installed the same way on Windows as on unix-like operating systems.