Re: time-cond with file

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 09:34:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, Kevin Murphy wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to use the -z (--time-cond) option with a
> filename argument, but it doesn't seem to be working right for me.

As was just recently discussed, -z does not work on FTP... this needs to be
fixed, and is mentioned in the TODO document.

> curl -R -z UniSTS.aliases -O
> ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/repository/UniSTS/UniSTS.aliases
>
> The file on the server is dated Apr 1, 2003 at 10:16.
>
> Downloading with -R creates a local file dated Apr 1, 2003 at 5:16, which I
> guess means that the ftp server reports times in GMT, since I am EST?

libcurl uses MDTM to get the file's date and time, and that returns a date
that is without time zone. It makes things a bit (to say the least) limited.

> Anyway, no matter what timestamp I touch UniSTS.aliases with (days earlier
> or later than the server's timestamp), the -z doesn't seem to work: curl
> always downloads the file.

Right, because the feature is still left to get implemented. I'm sorry that
this isn't mentioned in the docs.

I'll try to start working on this feature soonish.