Re: [ curl-Bugs-714667 ] curl -z ./local.bz2 -O ftp://remote.bz2 does not work (fwd)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 14:37:37 +0200 (CEST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 04 Apr 2003 13:28:08 +0200
From: Juergen Rose <rose_at_rz.uni-potsdam.de>
To: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Subject: Re: [ curl-Bugs-714667 ] curl -z ./local.bz2 -O ftp://remote.bz2
    does not work
Hi Daniel,
On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 18:23, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> Now I feel a bit stupid. I checked the source and then I checked the TODO and
> it made it quite clear: curl doesn't currently support the -z option on FTP
> downloads!
But I believe that I have the same problem performinging HTTP downloads.
My main reason to to use curl is to make a script based download from a
password secured WEB page (e.g. the link
http://www.affymetrix.com/redirect/taf.jsp?source=dc&dest=/Download/data/HG-U95A_target.zip
on http://www.affymetrix.com/analysis/download_center.affx), which I
could not realize until now with wget (I am not able to use the
--load-cookies option of wget). So I am doing the following:
curl -d "password=****" -d "logon=rose%40rz.uni-potsdam.de" -c cookies
https://www.affymetrix.com/site/processLogin.jsp
curl -b cookies -R -O -z HG-U95A_target.zip
www.affymetrix.com/Download/data/HG-${i}_target.zip
which is working, with the exception that '-z HG-U95A_target.zip' is not
considered. I.e., the the remote file is transfered newly and the
existing HG-U95A_target.zip is overwritten every time I am performing
the above call.
> Yes, but wget uses 'LIST' (as opposed to the MDFM ) and has spent years on
> refining that parser. We could theoreticly use the same approach, but it is
> mighty tricky code to write and get to function correctly.
>
> I'm afraid we can't use the wget code in curl, due to license restrictions.
Sorry, that there are such complications with GNU and MIT license
	With best regards
		Juergen
--
Juergen Rose <rose_at_rz.uni-potsdam.de>
Max-Delbrueck-Zentrum