Re: routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

From: William E. T. <triest.1_at_osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 20:04:23 -0500

guy xml wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm very new to using cURL. I'm trying to POST a file
>to a vendors webpage. cURL seems to be running OK,
>but
>here is the error message that I get:
>
>C:\CURL>curl -d drivers.xml
>https://www.xxxxx.com/postfile.asp
>
>curl: (35) SSL: error:14090086:SSL
>routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certific
>ate verify failed

I'm very much an amatuer at curl, but my understanding is that curl has
found a problem with the certificate. MY guess as to possible culprits
are there is either a problem of the domain listed on the certificate
doesn't match the one listed on the certificate, the entity that signed
the certificate isn't in your pm file (did you feed it one? This might
not be needed in newer versions), or the certificate has expired. The
reason this matters though is becuase without verifying the certificate
you can't know that the communication really is secure. It all depends
on your application and how servere this is. Hopefully some one else
can respond and tell you a good way to troubleshoot it. If it were me I
would veiw the site in my browser, and it should give you a warning, and
then an explanation.

Hope this helps,
William Triest