[ curl-Bugs-694936 ] net/if.h compile issue

From: SourceForge.net <noreply_at_sourceforge.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 01:17:22 -0800

Bugs item #694936, was opened at 2003-02-28 01:17
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100976&aid=694936&group_id=976

Category: compile or build problem
Group: None

Initial Comment:
 Hello,
http://curl.haxx.se/download.html v7.10.3
| I see the following message with:
| ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/curl --exec-
prefix=/usr/local/curl --with-ss
| l=/usr/local/openssl/0.9.7
|

| configure: WARNING: net/if.h: present but cannot be
compiled
| configure: WARNING: net/if.h: check for missing
prerequisite headers?
| configure: WARNING: net/if.h: proceeding with the
preprocessor's result
| configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------
##
| configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-
autoconf_at_gnu.org. ##
| configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------
##
| checking for net/if.h... yes
| checking netinet/in.h usability... yes
| checking netinet/in.h presence... yes
| checking for netinet/in.h... yes
| checking netinet/if_ether.h usability... no
| checking netinet/if_ether.h presence... yes
| configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: present but
cannot be compiled
| configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: check for
missing prerequisite
| headers?
| configure: WARNING: netinet/if_ether.h: proceeding
with the preprocessor's
| result
| configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------
##
| configure: WARNING: ## Report this to bug-
autoconf_at_gnu.org. ##
| configure: WARNING: ## ------------------------------------
##

| Other information:
| solaris 2.8 on a sparc platform.

I reported this bug to gnu.org. And they replied with the
following message.
Please, report this to the package maintainers, as it's a
configure.ac
problem. The Autoconf 2.57 doc says:

      Previous versions of Autoconf merely checked
whether the header was
   accepted by the preprocessor. This was changed
because the old test was
   inappropriate for typical uses. Headers are typically
used to compile,
   not merely to preprocess, and the old behavior
sometimes accepted
   headers that clashed at compile-time. If you need to
check whether a
   header is preprocessable, you can use
`AC_PREPROC_IFELSE' (*note
   Running the Preprocessor::).

      This scheme, which improves the robustness of the
test, also requires
   that you make sure that headers that must be
included before the
   HEADER-FILE be part of the INCLUDES, (*note
Default Includes::). If
   looking for `bar.h', which requires that `foo.h' be
included before if
   it exists, we suggest the following scheme:

   AC_CHECK_HEADERS([foo.h])
   AC_CHECK_HEADERS([bar.h], [], [],
   [#if HAVE_FOO_H
   # include <foo.h>