Re: curl: (18) transfer closed with at least 2727 bytes remaining

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 21:53:21 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Richard Chen wrote:

> > I tried it 15 times in a row, and it worked every time.

> Thanks for checking this out. I am surprised that the hanging did not
> happen to you. I have several people reported hanging in different
> locations in US. Perhaps you have such a fast internet connection that 64k
> page is too small to reproduce the problem.

Perhaps, I tried it using my 2.5Mbit/sec ADSL. Anyway, it might also be
related to a whole truckload of other factors, so it really is too soon to
rule out anything.

[snip]

> % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Curr.
> Dload Upload Total Current Left Speed
> 100 65538 0 65538 0 0 247 0 --:--:-- 0:04:24 --:--:-- 0
>

> Notice that after 4 minutes it was still hanging. What is the timeout for
> curl fetch?

It has no additional timeout by default, so it can sit there doing nothing
for quite a while...

> What is it is waiting for?

The server to send the rest of the data or the TCP connection to get closed
(by the other end).

> The server sent back:
>
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:33:44 GMT
> Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.9 OpenSSL/0.9.6c
> Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=YMGX445PAQXN0CQCFUNSFEQKAIWROJYG;path=/
> Connection: close
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
> The connection header is to close and there is no spec about how much data
> is coming back.

Right, but if you fire up ethereal and trace this connection, you'll get some
details on what happens and I guess that you'll see that the connection is
not cut off, it just is no data coming.

> Any further idea about what is going on?

Not really. Can you ethereal and see?

What happens if you don't pass along the "Connection: close" header? It
serves no useful purpose for you here anyway AFAICS...