Re: creating a PEM file

From: Götz Babin-Ebell <babin-ebell_at_trustcenter.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:29:25 +0100

Hello Johnny,

Johnny Vergeer wrote:

> Thanx for the feedback so far.
>
> Ralph, do I then somehow have to add the REMOTE Secure WebSite's
> Certificate to this "ca-bundle.crt" file? If yes, how?

Better you add the CA certificate of the host certificate
to this file.

To add the certificate to the ca-bundle.crt file,
you need it in the "certificate PEM format".

The certificate PEM format is the certificate Base 64 encoded
in a file with the lines -----BEGIN/END CERTIFICATE----- around it.

For example:

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----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-----END CERTIFICATE-----

This is our class 3 root certificate with the validity ending 2011.

All you have to to is:
Open the ca-bundle.cert in your text editor, paste the block
and save the file.
You should add some text information, so that you are able
to identify the certificate.
EG:
TC TrustCenter, Germany, Class 3 CA (1998-2011)

But https://securesms.co.za/postftp.php uses a certificate issued
by Thawte. It should be included in the ca-bundle.crt.

Bye

Goetz

--
Goetz Babin-Ebell, TC TrustCenter AG, http://www.trustcenter.de
Sonninstr. 24-28, 20097 Hamburg, Germany