configure: error: conditional "CONTENT_ENCODING" was never defined.

From: Ronald D. Walkup <rdwalkup_at_ti.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 17:43:26 -0600

I am attempting to configure curl-7.10.2 on a solaris2.8 baseline.
I have the gcc compiler installed version 2.95.3 .
openssl version is 0.9.6e 30 Jul 2002

the options I use when running the configure script are:

 ./configure --with-ssl --prefix=/usr/local/covalent/usr/local

the configure script runs for a while and then bombs out with
the following error:

checking whether to enable debug options... no
configure: error: conditional "CONTENT_ENCODING" was never defined.
Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.

I have searched on google with the above error
and found one email but no solution. Does anybody
have any idea what I am missing?

any help would be greatly aprecciated.

thanks and regards,

Ron