"RE: Problems compiling cURL 7.10.1 on Solaris 9."

From: Gregory Noe <gregory.noe_at_sluggis.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 09:52:30 -0800

Hi, I'm suffering the same problem, I think it compiles fine, but barfs
when it tries to make the links... Did you or anyone else come up with
a fix/workaround? I've spent days trying to figure this out. I'm still
a newbie to unix/solaris (please, be gentle ;-) ), so any pointers would
be much appreciated! If it helps, here's what I'm running:
Solaris 9 64bit on an Ultraspac II, gcc-3.2 , binutils-2.11.2,
libgcc-3.2, openssl-0.9.6g. All packages from Sunfreeware.
- Greg

>> Hehehe you guys are probably getting tired of this thread, so
>> I'll make it
>> brief. I figured out this error message. I edited libtool to
>> pass --verbose
>> to the linker, and I got this:
>>
>> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- -
>> /usr/ccs/bin/ld: illegal option -- v
>> usage: ld ...
>>
>> GAH! It's still trying to use the Sun linker! WHY!? Oh God,
>> why!? This one
>> baffled me to no end... LD in libtool is set to /usr/local/bin/ld...
>> /usr/ccs/bin isn't in my PATH... WTF? Well, I noticed that
>> /usr/ucb is at
>> the end of my PATH... and LO AND BEHOLD! a copy of
>> /usr/ccs/bin/ld is in
>> /usr/ucb... Oh, the humanity...
>>
>Ok... wrong again, but I think I've got it now, heh... All of the
linker
>options in /usr/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.9/3.2/specs tell gcc to
look
>in /usr/ccs and /usr/ucb for everything, which begs the question WHY?
Why